A wealth of resources is available to Child Care Providers from various resources. Through this website, Providers will have access to professional development trainings, accreditation information, and more. Please check this page from time-to-time, as we will continue to add more resources for you.
Let's Move Free Online Trainings
Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams. Visit the Let's Move Free Online Trainings page to find many resources you can use in your classrooms.
Texas A&M University
Texas A&M offers free online courses for child care professionals seeking to fulfill state-mandated training requirements toward the Child Development Associate (CDA) National Credential. The only cost to you will be to pay a fee for the certificate! Click here to view some of the current trainings offered through Texas A&M. Topics include:
- Child Growth and Development
- Child Health
- Developmentally Appropriate Activities
- Guidance and Discipline
- Observation and Assessment
- Preventing, Recognizing & Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect
- Professional Development
- Safety in the Child Care Setting
- SIDS, Shaken Baby Syndrome, and Brain Development
- Transportation Safety
Penn State University
Penn State University and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have partnered to create six Let’s Move! Child Care (LMCC) training modules. The free online training modules provide practical strategies for implementing best practices in early care and education (ECE) settings for promoting healthy weight in young children. The modules are also an opportunity for ECE providers to obtain CEUs from Penn State and professional development credits from many states’ licensing and/or quality improvement systems. The training series includes six lessons that cover background information for childhood obesity prevention and the five best practice goals: increase physical activity, limit screen time, offer healthy beverages, serve healthy food and support infant feeding.
- Go to: http://extension.psu.edu/youth/betterkidcare
- Select "On Demand Web Lessons" button on the left menu bar
- Create an account and sign in
- Select the title of the lesson:
- Childhood Obesity Prevention: LMCC
- Childhood Obesity Prevention: LMCC — Increase Physical Activity
- Childhood Obesity Prevention: LMCC — Limit Screen Time
- Childhood Obesity Prevention: LMCC — Support Infant Feeding
- Childhood Obesity Prevention: LMCC — Serve Healthy Food
- Childhood Obesity Prevention: LMCC — Serve Healthy Beverages
Note: All of Better Kid Care's On Demand lessons are available at no cost to the participant. To receive professional developmen credit and obtain a certificate of completion there is a small fee of $5.
Better Kid Care also has many research-to-practice resources and more than 150 online modules for early care and education and school-age professionals in the areas of child growth and development, curriculum, family engagement and communication, nutrition, healt and safety, and professionalism.